March 25, 2009

Berkley's Newest Achievement


We are proud parents! Not only is our little girl sleeping better (she goes to sleep around 8:30 - 9:00 pm and wakes up once to eat before we go to bed and then sleeps until 6:30 - 7:00 am - of course this could all change tonight!), but she is learning to put herself to sleep!

The pediatrician said at 15 weeks we could start sleep training her (i.e., letting her cry it out). She's 15 weeks today and last night is when we accidentally let her cry it out. I honestly expected her to cry for hours the first time we did this, but we got lucky. I'm probably totally jinxing us by even telling you all this, but here we go.

She was really fussy last night around 8:00 pm. At 8:50 Jon put her in her crib because she was screaming in his face and he needed a break. She cried until 9:00 and he went in and gave her her pacifier. She cried for four more minutes and then, I kid you not, the girl fell asleep! She slept until about 11:45 pm and then needed to eat. She then slept until 6:30 this morning. I gave her her pacifier so I could prepare a bottle and she fell asleep until 7:30!

Next up: naps! Today she started to fall asleep on me in the chair, our usual napping spot. I decided to see if she'd sleep with me in our bed. I let her squirm there for about ten minutes before she started to fuss. I swaddled her and put her in her crib. She cried for ten minutes and then I gave her the pacifier. She cried for another seven minutes and then just stopped. I crept into her room to see if she was asleep, but she was awake. I decided to leave her there for awhile and she passed out! She's waking up now, though, so I have to go. It was a short nap as far as morning naps go, but we'll try again this afternoon. I don't even know what to do with myself while I have free time! It's a whole new concept! There are so many options! I hope this napping thing works!

Oh and one more thing . . . GO SPARTANS!

Tammy and Jon

1 comment:

Lauren and Jeff said...

Congrats on your free time! I'm jealous she's already starting to sleep well. We weren't brave enough to tackle sleeping when Morgan was that young. I think I had too much other stuff to worry about since I was already back to work by the time she was 15 weeks old. You're so lucky to get extra time with Berkley while she's little!